Reporting to: Partner
Location: San Francisco
The purpose of this role is to drive thought leadership and analysis of new investments, follow-on investments, internal GP portfolio management and external LP portfolio management. This role will be an excellent opportunity for someone seeking an end-to-end venture capital and emerging growth equity experience.
The goal is to develop excellent analytics, process and policies working with Telstra Ventures including:
- Partners and senior investment professionals on new and follow-on investments;
- CFO and Deputy CFO on GP/LP portfolio management analytics; and
- Data Scientist on investment pipeline and portfolio analytics.
Telstra Ventures’s mission is to serve pioneering leaders and to deliver on their dreams. We target innovative technology people and products that: (i) are typically in the machine learning, mobile, cloud, networking, analytics, consumer / media, and other emerging sectors; (ii) are geographically based in the USA, Asia or Australia; (iii) are built by lighthouse entrepreneurs; and (iv) typically have between $1M to $50M in revenue. Telstra Ventures invests in ~10 new companies each year. Telstra is the ~$25B market capitalisation communications services company, headquartered in Australia, with significant operations in Beijing, Hong Kong, Jakarta, London, Manila, Silicon Valley, and Singapore. We have invested in over 50 companies including: Algoblu, Anomali, Asapp, AttackIQ, Auto0, Bigcommerce, Boomtown, Box, Cloopen, C88, CoFense, Crowdstrike, Cumulus, DocuSign, Elastica, Elemental, GitLab, Headspin, HealthEngine, Incorta, Kony, Matrixx, Monk’s Hill, Nasuni, Nexmo, NGINX, NS1, Ooyala, OpenGov, Qiniu, Singular, Skillz, Snap, SnapTravel, Team SoloMid, TeleSign, UBtech, Uhana, VeloCloud, Whispir, and Zimperium.
- Working closely with the investment team to develop and research investment thesis for new investments, potential thematic areas for future investment;
- Incorporating research tools and platforms such as Pitchbook, FactSet, CapitalIQ, Traxn etc) into valuation analysis;
- Having an understanding of typical venture capital investment terms with ability to develop clear financial models to assess complex liquidation preferences and capitalisation table waterfalls;
- Completing due diligence and valuation analysis of early stage technology operations including interrogation of financial models and business plans, preparation of valuation and investment returns analysis;
- Providing additional support to the investment team due diligence process which may include co-ordination of diligence reference calls, preparation of investment memorandums and investment committee papers
- Coordinating with CFO and Deputy CFO for GP/LP portfolio analysis, particularly around quarterly portfolio reviews for valuation, trends in financial KPIs and financial statement analysis returns analyses, due diligence and fundraising data requests;
- Coordinate with Data Scientist linking the above to our data science investment pipeline and portfolio analytics work.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of 2 years experience from an investment bank, PE / VC investment platform, management consulting firm, hedge fund or lighthouse technology company, preferred 3-4 years of experience;
- Graduated from a top college / university;
- Hold (or have commenced) Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) qualifications or other similar financial analyst accreditations a plus; and
- Experience with B2D (Slack, Stripe, GitLab, Twilio, etc.), zero sales and marketing software (AirTable, Atlassian) and consumer, marketplaces and DTC (Facebook, AirBnb, Warby Parker, Dollar Shave Club) companies a plus.
Software Skills and Language Requirements:
- Advanced Excel and financial modelling experience required as well as fluency in other Microsoft Office suite applications as well as SQL a plus;
- Excellent work with data services (CapitalIQ, CB Insights, Pitchbook) and web researching capabilities (LinkedIn, Crunchbase, Glassdoor, etc.);
- Effective English language and communication skills;
- Multi-lingual capabilities is a plus (eg Mandarin); and
- Must be confident with presentations and public speaking.
- High Integrity;
- High intellectual curiosity, superior organisational, preparation and analytical skills, strong work ethics. Creative and strategic thinking;
- Great business judgement, consensus builder, collaborative and persuasive temperament;
- Results driven, “go-getter” with a can-do attitude and high morale with an ability to work independently; and
- Self-managing, self-starter: someone who thrives in unstructured environment.
Certifications, Licenses, Registration: None
Physical Demands & Work Environment (The physical and environmental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Standard city office environment, requiring sitting, using standard computer, typing, reading documents and computer screens.
- Frequent travel may be required
Please contact us via our website if interested and/or to learn more about the role